5 Things to Know This Week in West Bloomfield
The holiday season, as well as several government meetings, will swing into full gear this week.
Five local stories to keep an eye on Dec. 2-8:
1. Hanukkah begins on sundown Dec. 8. Hanukkah commemorates the victory of the Jews over Syrian-Greek invaders in 164 BCE (Before Common Era). Hanukkah (Hebrew for dedicate) refers to the rededication of second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem and is celebrated by lighting one additional candle in a candelabrum, called a menorah for eight days.
- For a primer on the "festival of lights," click here: 5 Things You Should Know About Hanukkah
2. A different kind of mensch will be celebrated at the Berman Center for the Performing Art's "Motown Mensches Live!" event on Thursday (7 p.m.; $10). Presented by Jan Durecki, archivist with the Leo M. Franklin Archives at Temple Beth El, "Live!" covers the trajectory of Motown Records' Berry Gordy. The lecture will focus on the "invaluable contributions of the Jewish community" to this legendary icon of American music.
3. If you're looking for holiday entertainment of a different theme, this week marks the second week of the annual Patch Deck the House Contest to find the most over-the-top holiday decorations in America—the best "decked" house in the country—the one home so spectacularly decorated that everyone in town jokes your holiday decorations could rival Rockefeller Center’s.
If this sounds like your house, upload a photo or video of your home to our contest page from Nov. 26 to Dec. 16.
- Visit: Deck the House on Patch!
4. Those interested in local government have a wide array of options this week:
- West Bloomfield Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
- Orchard Lake Planning Commission Meeting Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- West Bloomfield Woodland Review Board Meeting Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- Sylvan Lake City Council Meeting Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- West Bloomfield Township Board of Trustees Special Budget Meeting Thursday at 12:15 p.m.
- Walled Lake Consolidated School District Board of Education Meeting Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
5. The West Bloomfield weather forecast calls for warmer temperatures this week, with the possibility of a sunny afternoon later in the week. There is a chance of dense fog on Monday morning, so be careful during your commute. There is a chance of thunderstorms on Monday night into Tuesday morning. Wednesday's forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and a high of 38 degrees.
This week in West Bloomfield
- Dec. 2: "Don't Burn the Cookies!"
- Dec. 2: Bagels & Basics
- Dec. 2: Victorian Open House at Pine Grove
- Dec. 2: The Messiah by George Frederick Handel
- Dec. 2: Holiday Show for All Holidays
- Dec. 4: Roeper Lower School Open House
- Dec. 4: West Bloomfield Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting
- Dec. 4: Ambassador International Book Signing
- Dec. 4: New Holiday Dessert Bar
- Dec. 4: Orchard Lake Planning Commission Meeting
- Dec. 4: Senior Stretch and Tone
- Dec. 5: Sylvan Lake City Council Meeting
- Dec. 5: West Bloomfield Woodland Review Board Meeting
- Dec. 5: Fun & Yummy Holiday Appetizers
- Dec. 5: Free Weight Loss Surgery Informational Seminar
- Dec. 6: Citizen Zin – An American Drama
- Dec. 6: Motown Mensches Live!
- Dec. 6: Keego Harbor Planning Commission Meeting
- Dec. 6: Sylvan Lake Parks and Rec Meeting