Carbon Monoxide to Blame for Illness at West Bloomfield Home
Seven were hospitalized as a result of a generator being used in an enclosed garage, according to West Bloomfield Fire Department.
Don't wait — get Patch-ed in to daily news, events, announcements, and more with the free Patch email newsletter.
Seven people living at a West Bloomfield group home are expected to make a full recovery from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator being used in an enclosed garage, according to West Bloomfield Fire Department officials.
Emergency crews responding to a group home on the 6300 block Norma Lee Drive in West Bloomfield Thursday afternoon reported CO monitors reading carbon monoxide levels at 500 parts per million (ppm). Fire Marshal Pat Riney said that emergency crews use 35 ppm as a benchmark to begin fixing a problem with carbon monoxide in a home.
Fire crews identified the cause of the carbon monoxide was a generator running in the garage, Riney said. He added that the generator had been running since 4:30 a.m. Thursday after several storms passing through the area and cut power to homes and businesses.
Riney said that generators, which are combustion engines, should be used in a well-ventilated area at all times.
For your information
Friday's high is expected to hit 100, with heat index at 105.
The NWS warns that heat-related illnesses and dehydration are possible, and this week's consecutive hot days could intensify the effects of heat on those who are sensitive to it.
West Bloomfield Fire Stations 1 and 5 began offering free water and ice Thursday night, which will continue 24 hours through Sunday.