Perlman Collecting Video Games for Pediatrics Unit
Eagle Scout candidate from West Bloomfield inspired by personal stay at the hospital.
- Grade: 11th
- School: Birmingham Eton Academy
- Achievement: Ethan, a 15-year-old Eagle Scout candidate, is organizing a fundraising drive in order to collect video games for kids to play at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital's pediatrics unit.
Inspired by a recent four-day stay in the hospital, Ethan is organizing the fundraising drive all by himself by coordinating events, planting donation boxes at local businesses, and building a self-contained unit to store the video games. Ethan plans to donate the consoles and games themselves later in the year.
The drive is going well since he began this spring. He expected to collect eight systems for eight different rooms in the pediatrics unit, and about 40 games. However, he said, he has 60-80 games and six units so far.
"I thought at the time, there's nothing for older kids to do at the hospital, and I decided that when I got out, my Eagle Scout project would allow me to help that situation," said Ethan, who represented Troop 179 in Farmington.
- What's next: In-between volunteering with the Detroit nonprofit Summer in the City and practicing his basketball game (he's on his school's varsity team) Ethan is organizing a donation-drive event July 14 at Tom Holzer Ford of Farmington from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Want to help? Ethan is seeking game consoles including Xbox, Playstation, Gamecube, and Wii. He's also seeking controllers for those systems and games rated E or E-10. (Please, no handheld systems).
Do you know our next Whiz Kid?
West Bloomfield Patch welcomes suggestions for students, youth groups and even sports teams who wow us with their accomplishments. We want to hear about these amazing children and teens and select one each week as Whiz Kid. Submit your nomination in our comment box below or email the information to editor Tim.Rath@patch.com. Please include all these details:
- Nominator's name
- Whiz Kid's name and age
- Whiz Kid's school
- Whiz Kid's accomplishment
- What makes him or her successful