This Week in West Bloomfield: 5 Things to Know
This week, Patch will be covering football playoffs, 'Radium Girls' and school issues.
Five local stories to keep an eye on Oct. 28-Nov. 3:
1. The Orchard Lake St. Mary's varsity Eaglets continue their quest to repeat as state champions in the second round of the Michigan High School Athletic Association football playoffs. After drubbing South Lyon East this past Friday night, the Eaglets earned a date with Avondale at home, kicking off 1 p.m. Friday.
2. Radium Girls, inspired by a true story and traceing the fatal tragedy of the factory women of the U.S. Radium Corporation in 1926, opens Thursday at West Bloomfield High School. At that time, radium was a miracle cure and luminous watches the latest rage-until the girls who painted the dials mysteriously began to fall ill and die. Written by Pulitzer Prize winning playwright D.W. Gregory, Radium Girls examines the consequences of America's preoccupation with health and wealth ($10). The show begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
3. Local government meetings on tap this week include the West Bloomfield School District Board of Education meeting (Monday at 7 p.m.), the Farmington Hills School Board meeting (Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.), the Keego Harbor Planning Commission meeting (Thursday at 7 p.m.) and the Sylvan Lake Parks and Rec Committee meeting (Thursday at 7:30 p.m.).
4. Cabaret singer Todd Murray is scheduled to perform at the Berman Center for the Performing Arts Thursday at 7:30 p.m. A portion ofthe proceeds from this event will be used to provide scholarships for children attending summer camp at the Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit.
5. The West Bloomfield weather forecast calls for rain, clouds and more rain, according to the National Weather Service (NWS). Snow is likely on Monday with a low around 36 degrees and gusts which could reach as high as 30 m.p.h.
- Oct. 28: Mens Club Tailgate Party & Lions Game
- Oct. 29: American Sign Language
- Oct. 29: West Bloomfield School Board Meeting
- Oct. 30: Farmington School Board Meets
- Oct. 30: Counselor Coffee Talk
- Oct. 30: The Rat Pack Entertainment Experience
- Oct. 31: English Language Conversation Group
- Nov. 1-3: Radium Girls at West Bloomfield High School
- Nov. 1: Todd Murray starring in CROON
- Nov. 1: Rotary Club meeting
- Nov. 1: High School Students: Do You Want to Make a Difference in Your Community?
- Nov. 1: Keego Harbor Planning Commission Meeting
- Nov. 1: Sylvan Lake Parks and Rec Committee Meeting
- Nov. 3: Outrun Hunger 5K and Kids 1 Mile Fun Run