When do Parent/Teacher Conferences in West Bloomfield Schools Start?
Holiday fun, parent/teacher conferences and yard waste removal deadlines among our list of five things to know this week.
Correction: the article has been changed to correct the time of high school parent/teacher conferences.
Five local stories to keep an eye on Nov. 26-Dec. 1:
1. Parent/teacher conferences take place this week on different days for West Bloomfield School District students, depending on their schools. Elementary school parents will discuss their students' progress on Monday and Tuesday nights between 5-8 p.m., while middle and high school parents will meet on Wednesday and Thursday nights between 4:30 p.m.-8 p.m.
2. The Keego Harbor community will gather Friday at the city's Department of Public Works building, near City Hall at 2025 Beechmont, for a public holiday tree lighting ceremony. The event kicks off at 7 p.m. All children elementary school-age and younger are welcome provided they are residents of the city. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
3. If you're looking for holiday entertainment of a different theme, Orchard Lake Community Church, Presbyterian hosts its 36th performance of George Frederick Handel's Messiah on Friday at 7:30 p.m. This classic oratorio, under the direction of Bruce J. Snyder, a bi-annual holiday tradition, features choir and orchestra. A $15 donation is suggested.
4. The annual period for yard waste pickup expires this week on different days in the Greater West Bloomfield area. Keego Harbor residents must have waste out by Monday, Orchard Lake residents by Tuesday, and Sylvan Lake residents by Wednesday.
5. The West Bloomfield weather forecast calls for near-freezing temperatures this week. The nights are expected to be mostly cloudy this week, according to the National Weather Service, with lows dipping down to 24 degrees. However, there is no rain in the forecast and partly-to-mostly sunny skies are expected every day.
- Nov. 26: West Bloomfield Township BOT Special Budget Meeting
- Nov. 26: American Sign Language
- Nov. 26: The “ion” Film Discussion Series: Examining the human condition in action
- Nov. 27: Fabergé: The Rise and Fall
- Nov. 27: Women in Communications Explore Differences in Gender Communications
- Nov. 28: Open House about Senior Transportation
- Nov. 28-29: SAJE Seminars for Adult Jewish Enrichment
- Nov. 28: West Bloomfield Wetland Review Board Meeting
- Nov. 29: Demystifying eReaders
- Nov. 29: Little Explorers
- Nov. 29: Rotary Club Meeting
- Nov. 29: Yoga Shelter's Prenatal Yoga
- Nov. 29: Greater West Bloomfield Cable Communications Commission Meeting
- Nov. 30: The Messiah by George Frederick Handel
- Nov. 30: Holiday Show for All Holidays
- Nov. 30: Keego Harbor Tree Lighting
- Dec. 1: Big Family of Michigan Reception at Lolly Ella
- Dec. 1: Annual holiday part to benefit Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan
- Dec. 1: Jewish Singles, 40+: Single 'Mingle' Dance