A homeowner in West Bloomfield left multiple candles burning on Wednesday afternoon and returned home to find his home had burned.
Smoke was found throughout the condominium in the Pebble Creek complex at 7004 Bridge Way Dr. and flames were confined to a single room, according to a press release. The structure sustained approximately $100,000 in damages.
According to the press release, the fire was reported by a passerby. The returning homeowner confirmed the subsequent investigation findings that multiple candles had been left burning too close to combustibles.
Tips from the West Bloomfield Fire Department
- If you use candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders where they cannot be knocked over; keep candles at least 12 inches from all combustibles, extinguish candles after each use and never leave burning candles unattended. In the event of a fire, escape first then call 911 for help and remember having a working smoke detector dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire.
- According to the U.S. Fire Administration, candle fires are responsible for over 15,000 house fires each year. USFA also reports that 55 percent of home candle fires are because the candle is too close to combustibles and 20 percent begin when the candle is left unattended.