Whether it's support for a special concert at the library or help for a family affected by childhood cancer, some of the best Christmas gifts are those that will never fit under a tree.
Charitable organizations in the Metro Detroit area and around the world rely on holiday donations to carry them through not only the Christmas season, but sometimes much of the year.
Many of us are still struggling to cover our own budgets, but if the spirit of the season moves you to give what you can spare, here are 10 organizations that support the the Metro Detroit area community by providing food, social services and more to residents in need.
- Our Children's Fund – Meets emergency needs and provides resources to help ensure that every student in West Bloomfield School District is able to participate in academic and enrichment activities.
- Foundation for Excellence – Fosters innovation for teaching and learning in the Walled Lake Consolidated School District.
- West Bloomfield Police Foundation – Works to alleviate the emotional, financial, and collective burdens faced by WBPD officers, their families, and those in the community.
- Friendship Circle – Provides programs and support for children with special needs, their siblings, and their parents.
- Optimist International – Adults work on positive service projects in their communities aimed at providing a helping hand to youth. Local clubs are located in West Bloomfield and Keego Harbor.
- Friends of the West Bloomfield Township Public Library – Enthusiastic supporters of the library's services, programs and materials.
- West Bloomfield Youth Assistance – Offers professional counseling services and conducts prevention programs for youth and their families who live within the West Bloomfield School District.
- Mentor Connection – Matches volunteer adult mentors with Oakland County youth, ages 7-22, who can benefit from more support through both the Community and Career Mentoring.
- Chaldean American Ladies of Charity – Preserves the Chaldean family by ensuring that all generations have access to necessary resources and services.
- Jewish Community Center – Committed to enhancing the quality of family life and promoting the physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness of the individual.
While canned food donations are always accepted at the food pantries, grocery store gift cards and monetary donations are even better, as they allow pantry organizers to buy what is most needed at any given time.
Merry Christmas, West Bloomfield!