Five local stories to keep an eye on Jan. 6-12:
1. The chili cook-off and euchre tournament takes place at the Sylvan Lake Community Center (2456 Pontiac Dr.) on Friday, between 6-9 p.m.
2. The First United Methodist Church of Birmingham tackles the issue of homosexuality and the church Wednesday in a special two-part seminar, "Methodists Believe What? A Conversation About the United Methodist Church and Homosexuality," taking place at the church at 7:30 p.m.
3. Those interested in local government have a wide array of options this week:
- West Bloomfield Township Board of Trustees Meeting Monday at 6:45 p.m.
- West Bloomfield Township Planning Commission Meeting Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
- Sylvan Lake City Council Meeting Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
- Wetland Review Board Meeting Wednesday at 7 p.m.
4. Effective on Thursday in Sylvan Lake, garbage collection will change to Thursdays. Look for a letter from Rizzo Services (the contracted garbage service provider) to be mailed to you. Garbage should go out on Wednesday night after 5 p.m., starting Jan. 9th.
5. The West Bloomfield weather forecast calls for sun and temperatures well above freezing. The Monday morning forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and a high temperature of 33 degrees, according to the National Weather Service (NWS). The sun continues throughout the week, with a high temperature of 40 degrees forecasted for Wednesday.
This week in West Bloomfield
- Jan. 7: West Bloomfield Adult FREE English as a Second Language Classes
- Jan. 7: Drop-In Open Gaming for Teens
- Jan. 8: Brown Center Family Caregiver Support Group Meeting
- Jan. 8: Counting the Days ’til Kindergarten Storytime
- Jan. 8: Film Discussion
- Jan. 9: Hillel Day School Early Childhood Center Open House
- Jan. 9: Friends of WB Library Review "Canada"
- Jan. 10: Our Own Pacific Northwest – Oregon & Washington State | $20
- Jan. 11: GWB Chamber Installation of Officers
- Jan. 12: West Bloomfield Bands Comedy Club Fundraiser
- Jan. 12: Covenant Baptist Church hosts Musician Jonny Diaz