Five local stories to keep an eye on Dec. 16-22:
1. As the supposed Mayan calendar apocalypse day (Dec. 21) nears, do you have any plans to mark the occasion? Greater West Bloomfield area residents will most certainly pack local shopping centers in anticipation of Christmas Day (just one more week!).
2. Students of West Bloomfield Schools, Walled Lake Consolidated Schools, Farmington Public Schools, and Frankel Jewish Academy will have their last school day before winter break on Friday. Orchard Lake St. Mary's students get out for break on Thursday. West Bloomfield Township offices will be closed next Monday and Tuesday, so be sure to get any work done there by Friday.
3. Those interested in local government have a wide array of options this week:
- West Bloomfield Township Board of Trustees Meeting Monday at 7 p.m.
- Orchard Lake City Council Meeting Monday at 7 p.m.
- West Bloomfield School Board Meeting Monday at 7 p.m.
- Keego Harbor City Council Meeting Thursday at 7 p.m.
4. Red and blue may not be Christmas colors, but the two will face off in the spirit of the season to raise funds for the family of fallen West Bloomfield Police Department Officer Patrick O'Rourke.
The Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association and the Joe Kocur Foundation for Children will hit the ice at Compuware Arena in Plymouth Dec. 21 to play a charity hockey game, the proceeds of which will be donated to the O'Rourke Family Trust. Tickets are still available at joekocurhockey.eventbrite.com or at the West Bloomfield, White Lake, Milford, Sterling Heights, Southfield, Plymouth or Grosse Pointe police departments.
5. The West Bloomfield weather forecast calls for wet conditions turning cold throughout the week. The Monday morning forecast calls for patchy fog and a 30 percent chance of precipitation after 8 p.m., according to the National Weather Service (NWS). The chance of rain continues throughout the week, with a predicted low of 28 degrees on Thursday turning the rain to snow.
This week in West Bloomfield
- Dec. 16: Two church Choir Cantata
- Dec. 16: A Honey Pot of Pooh Stories presented by Wild Swan Theater
- Dec. 16: SAJE Seminars for Adult Jewish Enrichment
- Dec. 17: Family Caregiver Support Group Meeting
- Dec. 18-19: Meet Nutbrown Hare at the Library
- Dec. 18: TKA Sisterhood Games Night
- Dec. 18: Get Started with Value Line
- Dec. 18: Free Bariatric Surgery Seminar
- Dec. 19: Pina - Magnificent Ballet film in HD at THE BERMAN
- Dec. 20: Holy Hedonism! Our Very Favorite Wines of the Year
- Dec. 20: Senior Stretch and Tone
- Dec. 20: Optimist Club of Keego Harbor Meeting
- Dec. 20: Harmony of Voices Concert feat. David Broza and Polyphony Youth Ensemble
- Dec. 20: Rotary Club Meeting
- Dec. 20: Yoga Shelter's Prenatal Yoga
- Dec. 21-22: Meet Lilly at the Library