A lot happened in 2012 — but that year's over. A lot is on deck for the Greater West Bloomfield area community in 2013 as well. At West Bloomfield Patch, here are the top five things we're looking forward to this year:
New construction: In approved plans to develop the northwest corner intersection of Maple Road and Orchard Lake Road into a mixed-use facility. Construction is still ongoing. Other new projects include a Bosko's coffee shop in Keego Harbor and the reconstruction of the former U.S. Blades building in West Bloomfield.
New elections: Led by first-year Superintendent Gerald Hill, the West Bloomfield School District will ask voters to pass a 14-year, 1.25-mill ($1.25 per $1,000 of taxable valuation, or $125/year for taxpayers in a home with a taxable value of $100,000) building and site sinking proposal in a special election May 7.
New schools: OK, maybe we're not looking forward to this one, but the reconfiguration of West Bloomfield elementaries, including the planned closure of Ealy Elementary School, is expected to save the district $685,200 in annual operating expenses.
New findings?Western Michigan University students will conduct an archaeological dig and survey on Apple Island in Orchard Lake in May. The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society (GWBHS) hopes the island will be approved for the State and National Register of Historic Places.
More fun happenings than we can count: Every year is a big one in West Bloomfield, with neighborhood groups, businesses and non-profits hosting new events every year. Make sure you clear your calendar for these dates in January:
- Jan. 11: GWB Chamber Installation of Officers
- Jan. 12: West Bloomfield Bands Comedy Club Fundraiser
- Jan. 12: Covenant Baptist Church hosts Musician Jonny Diaz
- Jan. 16: Guiseppe Verdi's La Traviata in HD at THE BERMAN
- Jan. 23: Bride Flight Encore Presentation
- Jan. 23: Make a Difference in the New Year . . .Mentor a Youth
- Jan. 23: Estate Planning 101
- Jan. 24: "Whoever Tells The Best Story Wins"
- Jan. 24: DSO at The Berman Center for the Performing Arts
- Jan. 27: Lenny Krayzelburg Swim Academy at the JCC
- Jan. 27: Brookfield Academy Open House
What are you looking forward to in 2013 around the Greater West Bloomfield area? Are there any new events happening around town this year?