The sale of K2——has drawn much attention throughout the state of Michigan in recent weeks.
The possession and sale of K-2 may be banned in West Bloomfield Township as early as tonight. The Township Board will consider the adoption of an emergency ordinance making the possession or sale of such products a misdemeanor at Monday's meeting.
"The availability of Spice to our youth is of grave concern to our community. High school students perceive this as a safe and legal drug since they can obtain it at a gas station. However, this is not safe and should be illegal," said Treasurer Teri Weingarden.
The proposed emergency ordinance will make the sale or possession of K-2 a misdemeanor with penalties of $500 and/or up to 90 days in jail.
“We are taking action to protect our children,” said Clerk Cathy Shaughnessy. “We have witnessed too many local tragedies involving kids using this dangerous drug. It is important that we at least make it more difficult for minors to obtain this substance while the Michigan Legislature considers a statewide ban.”
According to a fact sheet from the Michigan Department of Community Health, 224 instances of synthetic marijuana exposure were discovered in Michigan in 2011. Robin Walsh, a therapist at who treats teens addicted to the drug, says smoking K2 can cause hallucinations, seizures, vomiting, drowsiness, paranoia, tremors, loss of physical control, and higher blood pressure and heart rates.
Many parents have expressed concern about . Most notably,, 19, of Farmington Hills is believed to have been high on synthetic marijuana in April when he attacked his family, .
On Wednesday, Michigan state in the state of Michigan.
Darany’s proposal comes after many local communities have rallied to have Spice banned.
Facebook groups have been formed in , protests have been held in , and parents have teamed up in .
Also on the agenda
The complete agenda is available at the township's website and attached to this Article (PDF).
- Consideration of IT Consultants’ recommended five year plan
- Consideration of amendment to Storm Water plan for parcel numbers #18-27-476-086 & #18-27-476-013 (Doraid Markus)
- Consideration of Resolution authorizing moving Precinct 4 to Scotch Elementary School, and Precinct 10 to Beth Ahm Synagogue, in accordance with Michigan Election Law
- Consideration to increase salaries for election workers and approval of a Budget Amendment to increase account number 101-191-701-000 in the amount of $2000.00
- Consideration of Greater West Bloomfield Cable Communications Commission Budget for Civic Center TV/Green Media Center Project (Phase 3– Video, Information Technology, Furnishings, and Appliances)
- Consideration of request of Bangkok Cuisine WB Inc. (Owners Somnuk Arpachinda and Yia Hazelwood) to: Transfer ownership and location of a Class C with Sunday Sale Permit and Dance Permit from Frock, Inc. to Bangkok Cuisine WB, Inc. to 4301 Orchard Lake Road and cancelation of the existing Dance Permit and SDM License