Volunteers who donate their time to help local seniors were honored Thursday by staff members dressed as colorful candy treats at the annual volunteer recognition and awards ceremony at the Fleischman Residence in the in West Bloomfield.
"Willy Wonka” was the theme for this year’s program, which started with an “Old Time Candy Review” performed by confection-costumed staff members. The show was followed by award presentations to this year’s honorees, who were selected from a group of more than 600 dedicated teens and adult volunteers.
- Volunteer of the Year Phyllis Kramer of Farmington Hills
- Family of the Year Laurie and Craig Tashjian of Commerce Township
- Harris Guardianship Program volunteer Brian Yamstein of Oak Park
- Auxilian volunteer Elaine Beresh of West Bloomfield
- Parachaplain Helen Weingarden of Novi
- Volunteer for the Holocaust Survivors and Families Program Sandy Loeffler of Oak Park
- Brown Memory Care Pavilion volunteer Jason Hawkins of Farmington Hills
- Community service volunteer Joni Sands of Farmington Hills and her community guide Beth Cooper of West Bloomfield
- Dorothy and Peter Brown Adult Day Care volunteer Julian Regal of Farmington Hills
- Religious activities volunteer Rabbi Levi Shemtov of the in West Bloomfield.
Three volunteer groups were also honored:
- Children and teens from in West Bloomfield won the Religious Group of the Year award.
- The Community Volunteer Group of the Year award was presented to the Fleischman Residence jewelry class.
- The Sisterhood from in West Bloomfield was named Jewish Community Outreach Group of the Year