Five local stories to keep an eye on Aug. 12-18:
1. The West Bloomfield School Board is expected to approve the ratification of the West Bloomfield Education Association at a special board meeting Monday morning. The meeting begins at 8 a.m. in the media center.
2. It's that time of the year! Gino's Pizzeria and Restaurant and the Jewish Senior Life Foundation are the places to be this week in West Bloomfield for pre-Woodward Dream Cruise events. For a complete guide to all the fun this upcoming weekend,
3. The weather forecast calls for plenty of rain this week. Showers are in the forecast Monday and Tuesday, with possible thunderstorms to come. Wednesday calls for mostly sunny skies and a high of 77 degrees, but the National Weather Service expects thunderstorms back later in the week.
4. The Islamic Cultural Association will come to Tuesday at 7 p.m. for a split woodland review board/planning commission meeting. Plans for the Muslim Cultural Center of West Bloomfield, including a mosque and social/banquet center at the former site of Eagle Elementary School, have come under controversy over the past year.
5. If you are politically-inclined and looking to make a difference in public education, there is just two days left to get on the Nov. 6 general election ballot. One seat on the is up for a six-year term. All candidates for partisan and nonpartisan seats, need to file their nominating petitions or applicable fees by 4 p.m. Tuesday.